Companies and enterprises love to be called “data-driven.” Their business intelligence teams don’t refrain from including it in their strategy. But do they really know the meaning of being a “data-driven organization”? Though organizations succeed in generating and collecting a humongous amount of customer data, having big databases does not serve as the key enabler in making a business data-driven and digital. It’s a sad state that companies invest millions of dollars in building and managing large data sets, but Forrester research suggests that these organizations analyze only about 12 percent of this data, whereas the rest of the 88 percent of data lives in silos of systems and departments. Lack of data management and analytics expertise, analytic solutions and “brutal” data silos are the reasons companies ignore a vast majority of their own data.
Companies can benefit from opportunities of smart technologies, only if outsourced data entry service provider is capable of delivering enhanced accuracy, speed and scalability as per industry standards, and business needs.
Online stores and ecommerce sites are succeeding big time with help of online data entry solutions provided by outsourcing firms. Offshore data entry service providers, are enabling even smaller forms and start-ups to manage overall functioning qualitatively; with data management and ancillary proce
Last month Gartner announced that they will stop utilizing the term Enterprise Content Management - ECM, which was in existence since last more than 17 years now. Instead, they would now use Content Services - CS. As such on second thoughts, ECM is less about technology, and more of a strategy.